Best of France
Tour Type: Country Explorer
Brochure Type: TT & BV Europe Summer 2024 v1
Expect only the best on one of our favourite France trips, beginning and ending in Paris. Spend the night as a French lord or lady in an elegant Loire Valley chateau, be inspired like Cezanne was, by the beauty of Provence and visit the playground of Monaco.Choice Highlights
- Explore Carcassonne and Paris with a Local Specialist
- Discover Lyon, Avignon, Monaco, Nice, Arles, Lourdes and Bordeaux
- Visit the Hospices de Beaune, Chateau de Villandry, the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach, Claude Monet's home at Giverny and the Saint-Sulpice Church in Paris
- View the Papal Palace in Avignon, the Royal Palace and Cathedral in Monaco, Promenade des Anglais and Place Massena in Nice, the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes, Esplanade des Quinconces in Bordeaux, the Abbey of Mont-Saint-Michel, the D-Day Beach of Omaha in Normandy and Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
- See the Roman Amphitheatre and the Cathedral in Arles
- Scenic Drive through the Dordogne and the Loire Valley
Be My Guest
- Avignon: View the Pont d'Avignon and walk the medieval narrow streets of the Old Town to the Palais des Papes.
- Monaco City: See the cathedral where Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were married.
- Arles: Hear more about the city that is famed for being the inspiration behind the Van Gogh paintings during a city orientation.
- Lourdes: Explore Lourdes, globally renowned as a Roman Catholic pilgrimage site and attracting over three million faithful visitors every year.
- Saint-Emilion: Take in the vine-laden surroundings and established wine-making heritage of Saint-Emilion.
- Mont-Saint-Michel: Savour your first sight of the fortified island of Mont Saint-Michel and cross the causeway to explore the tidal island town.
- Omaha Beach: Join an emotive journey tracing the story of the D-Day landings and visit Omaha Beach.
- Giverny: View the gardens that inspired many of Impressionist Claude Monet's most famous masterpieces.
- Paris: Join a Local Specialist to discover the hidden squares and secret lanes of Paris.
Dive Into Culture
- Villandry: Return to 17th-century France and join the de Montferrier family on their farm near the famous Chateau de Villandry for a delightful Be My Guest lunch.
- Villandry: Visit Chateau Villandry in the Loire Valley and admire the exquisite Renaissance gardens that surround the elegant estate.
- Loire Valley: Step back in time with a stay in the regal 16th and 17th-century Chateau de Beauvois.
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Optional Experiences and free time
|Offer valid through 3/31/2023|
|Day 1||Bonjour Paris||Bonjour Paris: All the flavours of France come to life on this unforgettable journey, which kicks off in Paris, the 'City of Light'. Spend your day strolling past its iconic landmarks in search of hidden treasures, before joining your fellow travellers and Travel Director for a Welcome Reception and an orientation drive through the city.|
Mercure 17 Batignolles
|Day 2||Lyon||Journey through Burgundy to Lyon: We travel south to Burgundy, past the Cote d'Or vineyards of Gevrey-Chambertin and Nuits St. Georges. The colourful geometric roof tiles of the 15th-century Hospices are a sight to behold as we arrive in the medieval town of Beaune before continuing to Lyon, the gourmet capital of France. Consider spending your evening delving into the epicurean delights for which Lyon is justifiably famous. Why not wander up the city's narrow lanes lined with pastel pink and yellow facades in search of a cosy bouchon for a tasty dinner with newfound friends?|
Mercure Centre Saxe Lafayette
|Day 3||Avignon, Monaco and the French Riviera||Onwards to Avignon, Monaco and the French Riviera: Today we journey to the city of Avignon at the heart of Provence. See the Papal Palace and the bridge made famous by the song - Sur le Pont d'Avignon. Continue through the Provencal countryside to Monaco. Upon arrival we'll view the cathedral where Prince Rainier and Princess Grace were married, then in the evening we'll enjoy a Regional Dinner in Monaco before continuing along the Riviera to our hotel.|
Holiday Inn Nice
|Day 4||The French Riviera||The French Riviera Your Way: The sun-kissed shores of the French Riviera are yours to explore today. Consider relaxing on the beach with your fellow sun-worshippers or an Optional Experience could see you visit the hilltop town of Saint-Paul-de-Vence, a popular haunt for actors seeking a relaxing retreat. In your free time, soak up the fresh sea air and perhaps indulge in a delicious Salade Nicoise.|
Holiday Inn Nice
|Day 5||Arles and Continue to Carcassonne||Admire Arles and Continue to Carcassonne: Visit Arles with its honey-coloured facades, Roman ruins and Camargue culture, and enjoy some time at leisure to explore this beautiful city. Alternatively, choose an Optional Experience to gain a deeper understanding of Vincent van Gogh and local history with our resident expert before winding your way to the fortified city of Carcassonne. Join a Local Specialist to explore this exquisite ancient town, view the Cite, and see the double ring of ramparts and 52 towers.|
Mercure La Cite
|Day 6||Pilgrimage to Lourdes and on to Biarritz||Pilgrimage to Lourdes and on to Biarritz: We drive toward the Pyrenees this morning and arrive in Lourdes, the global centre of the Marian pilgrimage. You will have an opportunity to see the Basilica, perched atop St. Bernadette's Grotto, where the young girl, turned saint, is said to have seen visions of the Virgin Mary. Then, travel west to the Basque Coast, where we spend the night.|
|Day 7||Bordeaux||Venture to Bordeaux: Journeying through Les Landes, we arrive in the wine capital of Bordeaux, whose stunning Garonne riverfront and Age of Enlightenment history and architecture have made it one of France's most visited cities. Bordeaux wine has been produced in the region since the 8th century and the biannual wine fair attracts buyers from all over the world. Spend some time seeing the sights during your orientation of the city.|
Mercure Centre Ville
|Day 8||Discover Scenic Dordogne||Discover Scenic Dordogne: The lush green valleys and hills of the Dordogne take centre stage today during a scenic half-day included excursion. We drive to Saint-Emilion, whose wine heritage dates back to Roman times and return to Bordeaux this evening for some free time to explore the city. Perhaps, tease your taste buds with delicious Bordelaise cuisine or stroll through the city's historical centre admiring its beautiful architecture by night.|
Mercure Centre Ville
|Day 9||Loire Valley||Explore a Chateau in the Loire Valley Connect with Locals Dive Into Culture Stays With Stories: We journey through the 'Garden of France', before we Connect With Locals for a delicious lunch and Be My Guest experience. Dive Into Culture and visit the remarkable gardens at Chateau de Villandry before arriving at our special hotel for the night - one of Trafalgar's Stays With Stories.|
Chateau de Beauvois
|Day 10||Mont-Saint-Michel and the Normandy Beaches||Off to Mont-Saint-Michel and the Normandy Beaches: We travel through the patchwork landscapes of Brittany, to the island settlement of Mont-Saint-Michel on the Normandy coast, where we visit the island town and view the impressive Norman Benedictine Abbey. Follow the Liberty Highway to St. Lo and on to Omaha Beach. Reflect on the bravery of the young men who sacrificed their lives for freedom and visit the D-Day Landing Zone to learn how the operation was planned and executed. Arrive later at your hotel where you dine tonight.|
Mercure Omaha Beach
|Day 11||Paris||Journey to Paris: We travel east towards Paris, stopping at Giverny to visit the house and gardens that once inspired Claude Monet's exquisite Impressionist works of art. This evening, consider a trip to one of the city's renowned cabarets.|
Mercure 17 Batignolles
|Day 12||Paris||Discover the Delights of Paris: Join your Local Specialist on a journey through the historic neighbourhoods of Paris to see where the locals live and shop. Visit the remarkable church of Saint-Sulpice. Spend the rest of the day enjoying the sights on your terms. See the Mona Lisa and Venus de Milo at the Louvre, enjoy a leisurely cafe au lait in quiet surrounds or consider an Optional Experience to the opulent Palace of Versailles. This evening, we celebrate an epic adventure with your Travel Director and newfound friends at a Farewell Dinner.|
Mercure 17 Batignolles
|Day 13||Paris||Farewell Paris: For now it's time to bid a fond au revoir to the Best of France and your fellow travellers at the end of a magical and memorable holiday. Find out more about your free airport transfer at trafalgar.com/freetransfers.|
|Twin prices are per person.|
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class