Best of Germany with Oberammergau (Preview 2020)
Tour Type: Regional Journey
Brochure Type: Europe Preview 2020
Be captivated by the old world charm of Rothenburg and Nuremberg, the mountain scenery of Bavaria and the amazing re-birth of Dresden to its former Baroque splendour. Photo: Oberammergau Passion Play 2020ADDITIONAL INCLUDED HIGHLIGHTS
Authentic Regional Flavours
- Berlin: Drive along the Unter den Linden past the Humboldt University and Opera. See the Brandenburg Gate and Reichstag building.
- Dresden: See the Frauenkirche, 'The Procession of the Dukes', mosaic mural, Opera House and Zwinger Palace.
- Rothenburg-ob-der Tauber: Explore the most well-preserved medieval town in Germany.
- Munich: See the Marienplatz, Town Hall and Glockenspiel.
- Bavarian Alps: Visit the Wieskirche, a masterpiece of Bavarian rococo.
- Lindau: Cross the causeway to this delightful island town.
- Rhine Valley: See the Deutsches Eck Monument in Koblenz. Enjoy the scenic vista from the Niederwald Monument.
- Oberammergau: Dine in a local restaurant amid the buzz of excitement from Passion Play goers and enjoy local hospitality before the second half commences.
- Rothenburg: With a master artisan, learn the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen (snowball), followed by a tasting.
- Rothenburg: For your dining pleasure, you're offered an excellent selection of Rothenburg restaurants, each with its own distinctive ambience and cuisine. From local Franken specialities to international menus, your Tour Director's inside knowledge ensures a more intimate and authentic dining experience.
- Mainz: Take a seat on the terrace for stunning views of the Rhine. Tantalise your taste buds and toast to the culmination of your Germanic journey during a sumptuous Celebration Dinner with all the trimmings.
- Included Quality Dining: 9 Buffet Breakfasts (BB) and 6 Dinners (D) with wine (DW).
Stay at the Best Addresses
- Black Forest: Watch skilled artisans at work, learn the history and ancient techniques of clock making.
Top Rated Highlights
- Berlin: In the heart of West Berlin, right by Kurfurstendamm, the stylish Swissotel Berlin features a remarkable collection of contemporary German art, state-of-the-art technology and exclusive, luxurious amenities.
- Rothenburg: Located in the historic centre of medieval Rothenburg, the Hotel Eisenhut consists of four patrician houses from the 12th and 18th centuries, furnished with select antiques and original artwork.
Additional Star Services
- Nuremberg: See the city walls and tour the Old Town on a guided tour with a local historian.
- Oberammergau: Experience the spectacular Passion Play that has made this town famous. Watch from your premium seat as local villagers perform as they have since 1634 in this once in a decade event. An emotive and critically acclaimed performance depicting Christ's last days, this is an event not to be missed.
- Heidelberg: Climb up to the magnificent castle built in red sandstone, overlooking the Student Prince's town. See the Great Wine Vats, Apothecary Museum and enjoy panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley.
- Rhine Valley: Cruise beneath the semi-ruined castles and terraced vineyards. Sleepy villages slip by as you saunter upstream to the Lorelei Rock where the enchantress lured sailors to their doom.
- Our highly-skilled Insight Tour Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend in a foreign land
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight's luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat touring coach, with extended Business Class legroom and on-board restroom
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert's fascinating commentary
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included; you'll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus, we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel Wi-Fi (where available)
- From time to time, your Tour Director will enchant you with an Insight Flourish - a local tidbit representing authentic food or beverages unique to the destination
- Complimentary transfers from Berlin Tegel Airport and to Frankfurt Airport are available at scheduled times only on arrival and departure days
- Alternatively, please make your own way from/to the airport.
- Should your flights not coincide with these transfers, or additional accommodation has been booked through Insight Vacations, charged transfers are available
|Offer valid through 12/31/2019|
|Day 1||Your Journey Begins||Your Journey Begins: Board your overnight flight to Europe (not included).|
|Day 2||Berlin||Welcome to Berlin: Embrace a journey of cosmopolitan cities, historic old towns and breathtaking natural scenery. On arrival at Berlin's Tegel Airport, transfers leave for the hotel at 10:30 and 12:30. In the afternoon, perhaps visit the KaDeWe department store, the shopping centre of West Berlin - which during 40 years of division, became the shop window of the West. At 17:30, join your Tour Director for a Welcome Reception with the opportunity to mingle over a pleasant evening of dinner and wine. (Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 3||Berlin||The Spirit of Berlin: (Relaxed Start) Morning sightseeing with a Local Expert takes you along the Ku'Damm to the Memorial Church. Drive through the Tiergarten to see Norman Foster's glass dome that crowns the reconstructed Reichstag building. Continue on past the Brandenburg Gate, symbol of the reunification, and down the Unter den Linden, past the Humboldt University and Opera. Stop a while on Museum Island before enjoying an afternoon at leisure in this once divided city. Perhaps take the opportunity to visit the glorious palace of the Prussian Emperors at Potsdam? (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 4||Dresden||Dresden, a Baroque Phoenix on the Elbe: In Dresden, join a Local Expert to see the splendours of the city. From the Frauenkirche, which has risen again from the destruction of World War II, walk past 'The Procession of the Dukes', a mosaic of colossal proportions on the Royal Palace facade. See the enormous cathedral, Semper Opera House and Baroque Zwinger Palace. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 5||Dresden||Dresden, Nuremberg and onto Oberammergau: In the morning, depart Dresden and travel south to Nuremberg. Although the town was heavily bombed in World War II, it still remains a treasure trove of early German history and medieval architecture. With a local historian, tour the Old Town to see the charming blend of stone and timbered dwellings and the massive ramparts with its 46 towers. There is time to shop for delicious Lebkuchen (gingerbread) before continuing to fun-loving Munich. An orientation will show you the university, Victory Arch and the Marienplatz, where crowds gather at the Town Hall to watch the antics of the Glockenspiel. Then onto Oberammergau in the Bavarian Alps, home of the Passion Play since 1634. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner)|
|Day 6||Munich||The Passion Play: After a morning at leisure in charming Oberammergau, take your premium reserved seats to witness the world famous Passion Play, re-enacting the last days of Christ on earth. After a break for dinner in a local restaurant, the captivating performance continues into the evening. (Buffet Breakfast)|
Leonardo Hotel Munich City Olympiapark
|Day 7||Into the Black Forest||Into the Black Forest: (Relaxed Start) In the morning journey to Lindau, an island in Lake Constance connected to the mainland by a causeway. Stroll through the narrow streets past old inns and half-timbered houses, to admire the fantastic backdrop of the Swiss and Austrian Alps across the lake. Take a delightful drive along the shores of Lake Constance, lined with orchards and vineyards, to the Black Forest. The Black Forest is the land of cherry cake and cuckoo clocks, where traditional farmhouses dip their thatched roofs almost to the ground. Stop in one of the centres of the wood-carving industry to meet locals who still make cuckoo clocks by hand, a tradition passed down over 300 years. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 8||Medieval Rothenburg||Medieval Rothenburg: (Relaxed Start) Venture to Rothenburg-ob-der Tauber, the most well-preserved town on the Romantic Road. Plunge back into the 16th century as you walk through narrow cobbled streets lined with high-gabled houses to the market square, dominated by its Renaissance Town Hall. With an artisan baker, enjoy a demonstration and learn the history of the traditional pastry Schneeballen (snowball), followed by a tasting. Afterwards, the rest of your day is free to explore the quaint town. For your Dine-Around Evening experience, choose from a selection of restaurants within the walls of the Old Town. (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 9||Mainz||The University City of Heidelberg and Mainz: (Relaxed Start) Head through the valleys, where villages and isolated farms nestle beside fast flowing streams, before travelling north to Heidelberg. Enjoy the outlook from the heights of the castle fortress before venturing inside to see the Great Wine Vat, with its associated tales of the dwarf court jester, Perkeo. Spend time in the vast and insightful Apothecary Museum, before enjoying panoramic views of Heidelberg and the Neckar Valley. Your hotel is in the nearby town of Mainz, a bustling and important town since the time of the Romans. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Day 10||Koblenz||Castles of the Rhine Experience: (Relaxed Start) Begin the day with a relaxing cruise past steep-sided vineyards, half-timbered taverns, the hilltop castles and the notorious Lorelei Rock. Alight at Boppard and continue to Koblenz where a gigantic equestrian statue of Wilhelm I guards the junction of the Rhine and Moselle. Camera at the ready as you return along the eastern bank. Enjoy the scenic views from the mighty Niederwald Monument. In the evening, round off your German experience with a farewell Celebration Dinner overlooking the River Rhine, complete with the local wine. Prost! (Buffet Breakfast / Dinner with Wine)|
|Day 11||Frankfurt||Auf Wiedersehen Frankfurt: Your journey comes to an end after breakfast. Departure transfers arrive at Frankfurt Airport at 08:00 and 10:00. (Buffet Breakfast)|
|Notes: Twin prices are per person. Insight has secured hotel accommodation either in Oberammergau or close by in the picturesque villages of the Bavarian Alps. Single and Triple rooms are not available at Oberammergau. Those who select these booking types will be matched with a traveller of the same gender in a twin room for the duration of the Oberammergau stay. Insight's Great Savings and Discounts do not apply to Oberammergau packages.|
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class